b'125BOOKS, EPHEMERA & HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS814 818A GRANT OF LAND AT WINDSOR: JAMES UPTON (1803AN EARLY LAND TRANSACTION AT QUEENSCLIFFE- 1888): A letter, dated 20th October, 1830 from the Colonial5th April 1859 eight-page vellum document formalizing Secretarys Office, Sydney, advising Upton that the Governorthe Lease of an Allotment of Land at Queenscliffe by has been pleased to Sanction your receiving an Allotment ofJames Dawson of Kangalong, Point Fairy in the Portland Land.on the express Condition that you become ResidentBay District and John Lang Currie of Larra Station, to Mr. thereonand cultivating the same for Seven Years. TheAlexander Henry (cabinet maker); sealed, and signed by Henry partly printed letter was addressed to Upton at Cornwallis,and Walter Adamson, Hotel Keeper, Queenscliffe (witness); near Windsor, which is where he was living when he died 58also signed by Thomas Sunderland, Acting Registrar. The land years later. The letter is signed by Thomas Cudbert Haringtonin question was bounded on one side by Mercer Street and on (1798-1863), for the Colonial Secretary. the other, by Stevens St.$200250Permanent European settlement began in the area in 1836 when squatters arrived. Shortlands Bluff was named in 815 honour of Lieutenant John Shortland, who assisted in the LEGAL AFFAIRS IN THE DISTRICT OF PORT PHILLIP surveying of Port Phillip. Land sales began in 1853, the same - 1842 to 1861 year the name was changed to Queenscliff by Lieutenant A group of six (6) documents, mainly warrants created byCharles La Trobe, in honour of Queen Victoria. The Post Office the Deputy Sherrifs (Samuel Rayward, Alistair MacKenzie)opened on 1 May 1853 as Shortlands Bluff and was renamed in discharging their roles in settling disputes between freeQueenscliff in 1854.settlers. Three are printed forms which have been completed$500750 in manuscript, the others are all hand-written. In May 1842 Raymond instructs his Bailiff to take John William Thurlowand him safely keep, so that I may have his body before819Her Majestys Justice in the Supreme Court of New SouthMACAULAY, Lord Thomas Babington,Wales, for the District of Port Phillip.to satisfy GeorgeTHE HISTORY OF ENGLAND FROM THE ACCESSION OF James of Thirty two pounds seven shillings and ten penceJAMES THE SECONDIn October 1843 MacKenzie instructs his Bailiff to demand[London : Longman, Green, et al. 1863], 1st ed., in 8 that Kenneth Snodgrass return to John Hook the goods hevolumes; hard cover, half-leather with gilt lettering to spines, took and unjustly detained. In December 1861 Claud Fariemarbled endpapers, previous owners signature to each front acknowledges that he holds the sum of one hundred and thirtyfree end paper. (8)pounds sterling as a surety from Harriet Verey (widow), Isaac$150200 Solomon (Commission agent) and Samuel DeBeer (Merchant) and all have signed or marked the document with an X.820A fascinating group, with opportunities for research.$250350SHERIFFS OFFICE MELBOURNE: Three documents dated 1870; two being Warrants on Fieri Facias demanding 816 payments from Louis Le Compte and another from John Watson as a result of Supreme Court judgements against STIRLING, Patrick James, F.R.S.E. them; also a note to the Sheriff asking for a stay in further THE AUSTRALIAN AND CALIFORNIANproceedings. (3 items).GOLD DISCOVERIES, AND THEIR PROBABLE$100150 CONSEQUENCES.[Edinburgh : Oliver & Boyd, 1853], 1st ed., hardback, 3/4 leather with marbled boards; gilt lettering to spine between821raised bands; Wellbanks Australian Nautical Almanac and Coasters Guide, with repaired fold-out and title page. Ferguson: 16282. for the Southern and Eastern Coasts of Australia, compiled $150200from the Most Authentic Sources, for the Year 1874 Edited by SUSTENANCE, S. S. [James Reading, Sydney, 1873], 817 hardback, 304pp + 22pp adverts. half leather binding, with 4 AN 1858 VICTORIAN LAND GRANT DURING raised bands to spine; marbled end papers with J.Reading & THE GOLD RUSH Co to front paste-down. Previous owners ink inscriptions.October 1858 land grant by purchase to JOSEPH BALL of$150250 an allotment in CASTLEMAINE, signed and sealed by the Governor, SIR HENRY BARKLY. (The price of 39/5/- is822detailed in manuscript. 35 x 45cm. WARBURTON, Peter Egerton.The land in question, suburban lot 11, was a townJOURNEY ACROSS THE WESTERN INTERIOR OF allotment of 1 rood, (just over 1000 square meters or theAUSTRALIA.traditional quarter acre block). Gold was discovered nearOctavo, plates, the folding map separated into two pieces present-day Castlemaine (Mt Alexander Goldfields) in Julyand with some split folds, original gilt-pictorial cloth, 1851 at Specimen Gully on Barkers Creek. The gold wasrear joint opening.discovered by Christopher Thomas Peters, a shepherd[London, Sampson Low, 1875]. First edition.and hut-keeper on Barkers Creek. Castlemaine became aFerguson, 18187.boomtown and by the end of the year there were more than$300400 25,000 diggers working in the area.BARKLY was appointed governor of Victoria in November 1856, with the highest salary in the British Empire because the Colonial Office considered the post particularly difficult. He remained in the post until 1863 when he was moved to Mauritius.$200300 '