245 “THE NEWS LETTER OF AUSTRALASIA. MELBOURNE, NOVEMBER, 1859’ complete 4-page edition, printed & published at “The Herald” Office; with lengthy coverage of the new Parliament following elections, (“Measures have been prepared to amend our gold fields legislation, and to legalize mining on private property... ”; “The subject of the defences of the ports and harbours will demand your early and serious attention....The recent arrival of H.M.S Pelorus....completes the naval armament destined by the imperial government for the defence of the Australian coasts”). Other matters included the railways, water supplies to the gold fields, telegraphic communications, the question of establishing a branch of the Royal Mint in Victoria, etc. Gold shipments, an agricultural show, banking, shipping arrivals & departures, news from New South Wales, Tasmania and New Zealand, theatrical activities, labour and produce markets, etc. are also covered. $200–250 ❖ † 246 “NEWS LETTER OF AUSTRALASIA. A Narrative to send to Friends. No.42 - Feb.1860” cover sheet, printed and published at “The Herald” Office, Melbourne; depicting “A day on the sands: Queenscliffe” , a cricket match, swimming in the Yarra, a horse race, a rowing competition, and the departure of the first train from Flinders Street Station. Engravings by Samuel Calvert. $200–250 † 247 THE TASMANIAN STANDARD NEWSPAPER 1861-62 “The Tasmanian Standard. For the Family, the Library and the People” No.1 Vol.1 (November 30, 1861) to No.14 Vol.1 (March 1862) complete in a bound volume. A combination of commercial, legal, sporting and social news, prices, shipping information, advertisements and stories, “Published every Saturday morning. ” Printed by John Davies at the Mercury Steam Printing Office, Macquarie Street, Hobart Town....for the Proprietor, Charles Orlando Atkins, Murray Street. These 14 editions may well be the complete output of The Tasmanian Standard as we can find no references to the publication in any publicly held collections. The front pastedown bears the manuscript endorsement “Rev’d J. Wilkes Simmons with the Publisher’s best wishes, February 1863” John Davies (1814 - 1872) co-founded The Mercury, with George Jones in 1854. Davies was Jewish, born in London, and transported to Hobart as a convict in August 1831, for ordering candles on someone else’s account. His father had been transported to New South Wales only a few years earlier. In 1871 Davies passed the management of The Mercury to his sons. In June 1872 he opened up the theatre building (which he then owned) to homeless people seeking temporary shelter due to floods. He caught a chill from which he died on 11 June 1872. Davies’ son John played first-class cricket for Tasmania and was thrice Mayor of Hobart. $1,000–1,500 ❖ 248 GREENWOOD, James “WILD SPORTS OF THE WORLD: A BOOK OF NATURAL HISTORY AND ADVENTURE. ” [S.O. Beeton, London, 1862] 1st ed. 426pp + colour plates with woodcuts from designs by Harden Melville and William Harvey, coloured illustrations, portraits and folding maps. Good tight condition, full leather, gilt decorations. Ex Libris label to front paste down; mss dedication to Robert D. Jackson “on his leaving Eton, 1866” $150–200 ❖ 249 THE WEEKLY TIMES NEWSPAPER 1863 “The Weekly Times” No.1 Vol.1 (March 1863) to No.42 Vol.1 (December 1863), complete in a bound volume. A combination of commercial, legal, sporting and social news, prices, shipping information, advertisements and stories, “Published by Charles Boyce, Sole Proprietor at the Weekly Times Printing Office, 51 Murray Street, Hobart Town. ” These 42 editions are the complete output of The Weekly Times. It was briefly resurrected in 1868-69. Is the publisher the same Charles Boyce described as follows, in the Australian Dictionary of Biography? Charles Boyce (1835-1917) and Thomas Burnham Boyce (1844- 1909), newspaper proprietors, were born in London. They emigrated to Victoria in 1849 with their parents, but by the 1860s had settled on the north coast of New South Wales. In May 1864 Charles, helped by Thomas, began [what was thought to be] his first newspaper, the Macleay Herald, published twice a week at East Kempsey and the first on the Macleay River. Circulation was limited and frequent floods damaged the plant; by 1867 Thomas was sole proprietor. Charles moved to Taree, where in January 1869 he started the Manning (River) Times, which almost a century later still flourished over the Boyce name. $1,000–1,500 ❖ 250 THE ILLUSTRATED MELBOURNE POST February 1864 to December 1868 various editions in a bound volume containing No.59 (features a full-page “View in Castlemaine Market Square” , No.63 (View of Hobart Town), No.76 (The Departure of the Leichhardt Search Expedition by Calvert), No.70 (Grand Volunteer Review on the Melbourne Racecourse (by Calvert), No.71 (The Confederate War Steamer Shenandoah in Hobson’s Bay), No.73 (The Governor’s Visit to Ballaarat), No.74 (Railway accident on the Port Line, South Australia), No.78 (The New Railway Works, near Prince’s Bridge), No.80 (The Dog Show at the Exhibition Building), No.82, No.83, No.86 (Maori Women Fishing for Mussels), No.87 , No.88 (Football in the Richmond Paddock), No.89 (The Works at the Intercolonial Exhibition Building, Melbourne), No.90, No.91 (Capture of Burke, the Bushranger), No.93, No.95, No.96, No.98, No.99, No.100, No.101, No.102, No.103, No.105, No.106, No.107 , No.108, No.109, No.111, No.112, No.113, No.114, No.115 & No.117 . (37 complete editions). Although in mixed condition, appears to be a more extensive 246 42